Skip to main content

Hmmmm....

My eyes are aching and all I want to do right now is to shut down the system, take out my book; 'Teacher Man' by Frank McCourt and read it. I wonder why this office can't give us a day off for Good Friday, anyway thanks to them I can atleast attend an hour's benediction in St. Thomas Basilica, which is quite near my office. I am looking forward to that cause I love this church, its pretty ancient and it is built over the tomb of St.Thomas. It is one of three churches in the world to be built over the tomb of an apostle of Christ. The other two churches built over the tomb of an apostle are St. Peter's Basilica at Rome, Italy and the Saint James the great at Santiago,
Spain Santiago de Compostela.

Easter is pretty low-key this year, I guess it's because I am here in Madras. At my place things would be rather hectic now. We would be busy with choir practice, decorating the church and organising things for the Easter Vigil. Anyway, let's see how Easter is celebrated here.

Comments

Zak said…
For a moment I thought St.Thomas had three tombs ! Here in chennai ,for easter ,we give a goat a nice bath in salted turmeric water(for taste) at 12:00 am and then chop its head off ! Simultaneously we shout ooooh oooooh ooooh ooohhh in chorus ,while patting our lips with our hands oscillating across the XY and YZ planes ,until our throat pains! The bath can be given in different flavours depending upon ur preference of taste ! Care should be taken to ensure that the tail , foot and balls are also chopped off later before cooking it !
test said…
Happy Easter
Karen Xavier said…
Pushpak, I never asked how YOU celebrate easter...

Mahalai, same to you, have fun.
Zak said…
its all the same the world over u moron !
Karen Xavier said…
Pushpak... people celebrate festivals differently. I could explain more, but I am fed up and sleepy....
Zak said…
your confusing diwali and xmas
Icychips said…
hey, HAPPY EASTER u guys!!have a great day..
hey sajeeve, shudnt be an easter bunny u slaughter,not a goat?goat's already taken!!
Zak said…
@church now . Whos bunny now
Sirpy said…
And so how was it..? Easter is always a pretty quiet affair in Chennai.. People are too busy trying to break their penance in the best way possible rather than celebrating it... :D
That Squirrel said…
How come you didn't put up a picture of the basilica? It is a beautiful church. Easter was pretty low key this year...

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Amethyst in Chennai - A Review

After Sarangi , we stopped by Amethyst another boutique store at Whites Road (quite close to Express Avenue Mall), Royapettah. This is a cool posh place hidden from the bustling din of the main road, and the entry way itself seems to transport you to another time and place far away from the cacophony of a busy city life. Once you step into this land overflowing with (wild) shrubbery, you'll find a flower shop, a jewellery cum clothing store and a colonial styled coffee hangout place. The entrance... with shrubs on either side. A giant urn among the shrubbery.  A little fountain in the garden... The jewellery and clothing boutique is located upstairs and even though the whole arrangement looks nice and inviting, I couldn't really find anything worth buying here.   An art piece at the store... The clothes seemed drab and messily complicated, like some new age fashion for the artsy / socialite types. It's not something your normal next door perso...

My school teachers...

So I got to thinking bout my school days recently and it saddened me that I was starting to forget a few teachers who had shaped my life, I have already forgotten nearly half the classmates... though its not my fault. Some people just don't want to join facebook, then how can you find them in this big world. Even if I do find them, there is not much to talk beyond the 'where are you & what are you doing' phrases. But the teachers are another matter, they deserve to be remembered for moulding us. I gotta hand it to the convent school I studied in, they really knew how to select their educators... all the teachers I had shared a genuine passion for teaching and above that they had strong moral values and faith which invariably shaped our lives. To them being a good person was what mattered the most and they made sure we grasped this knowledge, it also helped that I had staunch catholic parents who cemented this view. Anyway, I just wanted to jot down stuff bout my teacher...