Skip to main content

A simple yet invigorating green peas curry...

I love this green peas curry, it reminds me of my grand mom's place in Mahim, Bombay. I remember eating it with kadak pav (this really hard crusty bread, that wonderfully soaks up a curry and you have to chew on it slowly to savour every molecule... ). I don't know why but my mom rarely made it at home while we were growing up, so it always remained a Bombay delicacy until I grew up and learnt how to make it and now I make it quite often. And it really is a time saver, you don't have to chop any onions or tomatoes... this dish is just gloriously easy and to borrow a phrase from KFC its finger licking good!

First soak your green peas for at least 6 to 8 hours in water. I am assuming you know which peas I am talking about here, those hard ones you get in department stores (not the frozen or the fresh ones). Then pressure cook (don't use the same water you soaked the peas in, add clean water) it for 5 to 6 whistle spans. And you'll get something like this... 

Here they are, the peas all cooked with their little delicate white skins floating on top...

Crush a few cloves of garlic now...

Heat a pan, add a little oil and drop in few cumin (jeera) seeds and the crushed garlic. Give it a slight mix...

 Then add some chillie powder and coriander powder.

Add the entire contents of the pressure cooker (the peas along with the water) and mix it up well. Add enough quantity of salt and with the spoon mash a few peas to the base of the vessel. Do this a few times, this will cause the curry to thicken and gain its desired consistency. Cover it with a lid and let it simmer for a few minutes till you get that Bombay smell (that's how it is for me). You guys can simmer it for 5 minutes or so.

Voila! That's it... you get some delicious warm curry and it tastes good with chapathi, dosa or plain bread (that's what I have to make do with, since Kadak pav isn't available where I live). This really is a little treasure of a dish, its easy to make when you know you are gonna be busy the whole day and you just want to cut down an all your chores. Just remember to soak it beforehand and half the job is done. So there, hope you try this out...
Thanks Grandma, and a big hug to all my cousins in Bombay :o)

Comments

mahesh said…
Finally something for the certified herbivores like me :)
Karen Xavier said…
Mahesh, I guess there are very few of your type... judging from the number of comments ;)
Beth Niquette said…
Oh, my goodness! My mouth was watering by the time I'd read through the recipe.
Karen Xavier said…
Beth, do you cook stuff like this...?

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa