Skip to main content

Baked Paneer Tikka...

Some time back, a few guests were coming over for lunch and most of the food was already cooked and ready, when we remembered that one of the guests was a vegetarian. There was some paneer in the fridge,  to save time on the cooking I decided to throw all the ingredients I had into a pan and bake it. I really had no idea, it would come out this good. 
Take a couple of onions and cube them, (cut them into cube like chunks).
Do the same with a capsicum, I used a rather large capsicum here.
Then cube some tomatoes and drop them into the dish.
In another dish, add a generous quantity of thick yogurt.
Drop in some garam masala powder...
Add a little turmeric...
Then Chillie powder...
Then a generous quantity of coriander powder...
Next add a little Jeera powder...
Then drop in some ginger garlic paste...
And enough quantity of salt...
Mix this whole thing up with a spoon...
Drop in the cubed vegetables... 
And mix it around...
This is the brand I always buy, Hatsun. They are the best. So I wanted to know the difference in dropping the paneer as it is into the vegetable yogurt mix or first shallow frying the paneer and then dunking them in warm water and then using the golden tinted paneer pieces in this mix. I decided to use one packet of paneer as it is, and the other packet I fried the paneer pieces, soaked them in warm water and then used them in this mix.
Here it is, just the plain paneer pieces, also cubed....
And mixed with this... 
The other packet, I first shallow fried the paneer pieces... 
 
Till they achieved a golden brown tint... then drop them in warm water while the rest of the pieces fry.
Remove only the paneer pieces and drop them here and mix them around
Drop the whole mix into a baking dish... 
I don't know if you can see it here, but I have drizzled the oil that the paneer was frying in... bout two to three tablespoons of cooking oil. That's it, stick this in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. It will start bubbling in between, mix it around a bit and then let it continue baking.
Here it is, all baked and ready to be eaten... 
Chop up a few sprigs of coriander leaves and sprinkle them on top.
Enjoy the baked paneer tikka masala... I really like this dish. It's so freaking easy too, just chop up everything and add the yogurt and masala's and then let it bake. You don't have to stick around while it bakes... so simple. 

I noticed that the paneer used straight from the packet, tended to be soft and fragile, sort of melts in your mouth. The other packet that I fried, was more sturdier and retained its shape and tasted more like the paneer we know. The other softer one was nice too, but it had a more milky taste to it... like fluffly milk that melts in your mouth. I liked both, but if I were to make this when there are many folks to eat, then I will fry the paneer first, people are more used to that taste. If I were to make this only for me, then I would just drop in the paneer without frying them, somehow I liked that 'melt in the mouth' feeling. Reminded me of the Far Away Tree while eating it, those kids used to eat all kids of weird sweets with Moonface and Silky the fairy. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a delicious looking and saucy paneer dish!
Unknown said…
This looks awwwwwesome! Must taste awwwwesome too :-). I am definitely gonna try this. Thanks for the recipe, Kavitha.
Bhushavali said…
Yummm! Looks great! :)
Sad I don't have an oven!!! :(
Thanks for visiting my blog dear! :)
Indian Fashion n Travel Blogger! - Bhusha's INDIA TRAVELOGUE
Karen Xavier said…
yummy chunklet, thank you :o)

Saranya, hope you like it :o)

Bhushavali, :o)
BackStage said…
Nobody in my house likes paneer except me :( Actually its the men - why is it they don't like this super yummy cheese???

Nice recipe by the way, seeing the paneer just made me whine :)
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Looks delish! What temperature did you bake it at and for how long?
Karen Xavier said…
Shriya, sorry for replying this late... I just stick in the oven at 230 degree, and then wait till everything is all soft and a golden colour.

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Amethyst in Chennai - A Review

After Sarangi , we stopped by Amethyst another boutique store at Whites Road (quite close to Express Avenue Mall), Royapettah. This is a cool posh place hidden from the bustling din of the main road, and the entry way itself seems to transport you to another time and place far away from the cacophony of a busy city life. Once you step into this land overflowing with (wild) shrubbery, you'll find a flower shop, a jewellery cum clothing store and a colonial styled coffee hangout place. The entrance... with shrubs on either side. A giant urn among the shrubbery.  A little fountain in the garden... The jewellery and clothing boutique is located upstairs and even though the whole arrangement looks nice and inviting, I couldn't really find anything worth buying here.   An art piece at the store... The clothes seemed drab and messily complicated, like some new age fashion for the artsy / socialite types. It's not something your normal next door perso...

My school teachers...

So I got to thinking bout my school days recently and it saddened me that I was starting to forget a few teachers who had shaped my life, I have already forgotten nearly half the classmates... though its not my fault. Some people just don't want to join facebook, then how can you find them in this big world. Even if I do find them, there is not much to talk beyond the 'where are you & what are you doing' phrases. But the teachers are another matter, they deserve to be remembered for moulding us. I gotta hand it to the convent school I studied in, they really knew how to select their educators... all the teachers I had shared a genuine passion for teaching and above that they had strong moral values and faith which invariably shaped our lives. To them being a good person was what mattered the most and they made sure we grasped this knowledge, it also helped that I had staunch catholic parents who cemented this view. Anyway, I just wanted to jot down stuff bout my teacher...