Skip to main content

Madras to me is...

Here's a little poem I wrote to celebrate Madras week...

Madras to me is...

Call her by any other name and she won't really be the same
A city that sleeps quite early but wakes up to morning ragas
And piping hot filter coffee and lovely women in long tresses
Deftly weaving kollams, that brings smiles to passing faces.

The Hindu arrives and patriarchs get lost behind it, to emerge
When wafts of steaming idlis' and crisp dosas' beckon
Time to hit the road or risk gettin caught in the loving embrace
Of the sun, that can give rise to homicidal tendencies.

In this city people have an affinity for noise
Horns are always blaring and autos are a hoot
They bring me closer to God, figuratively, and at times
Literally too, by driving like Schumacher on steroids. 

You can tell the city is developing quite fast
When you can't decide which mall to visit on weekends.
Elegant pattu sarees and gold jewels never go out of fad
And jasmine buds adorn beautiful shikakai scented hair.

She has become quite modern now, but still retains her
Traditional charm and grace, and is still the best city
In India in many ways, though people now call her Chennai
She can be known by no other name but Madras.

Comments

Ganesh Puttu said…
embrace your enemy......the sun aint so bad once you get used to it..only mad dogs and englishmen hate chennais sun
yummychunklet said…
Great post!
Karen Xavier said…
Doc, what are you implying...

Thanks, yummy chunklet..
mahesh said…
beautiful, elegant, wonderful - what adjective do I use to describe this lovely poem :)

well-written :)
Karen Xavier said…
Coming from you, that's high praise indeed... thanks Mahesh.

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Amethyst in Chennai - A Review

After Sarangi , we stopped by Amethyst another boutique store at Whites Road (quite close to Express Avenue Mall), Royapettah. This is a cool posh place hidden from the bustling din of the main road, and the entry way itself seems to transport you to another time and place far away from the cacophony of a busy city life. Once you step into this land overflowing with (wild) shrubbery, you'll find a flower shop, a jewellery cum clothing store and a colonial styled coffee hangout place. The entrance... with shrubs on either side. A giant urn among the shrubbery.  A little fountain in the garden... The jewellery and clothing boutique is located upstairs and even though the whole arrangement looks nice and inviting, I couldn't really find anything worth buying here.   An art piece at the store... The clothes seemed drab and messily complicated, like some new age fashion for the artsy / socialite types. It's not something your normal next door perso...

My school teachers...

So I got to thinking bout my school days recently and it saddened me that I was starting to forget a few teachers who had shaped my life, I have already forgotten nearly half the classmates... though its not my fault. Some people just don't want to join facebook, then how can you find them in this big world. Even if I do find them, there is not much to talk beyond the 'where are you & what are you doing' phrases. But the teachers are another matter, they deserve to be remembered for moulding us. I gotta hand it to the convent school I studied in, they really knew how to select their educators... all the teachers I had shared a genuine passion for teaching and above that they had strong moral values and faith which invariably shaped our lives. To them being a good person was what mattered the most and they made sure we grasped this knowledge, it also helped that I had staunch catholic parents who cemented this view. Anyway, I just wanted to jot down stuff bout my teacher...