Skip to main content

Travelling silhouettes...

As I sit here watching clumps of clouds and the Alps pass by below, I'm awestruck by life. When Fraulein Maria leaves the abbey in The Sound of Music, she says, 'When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window'... and a window He did fling open for me. I was left literally gasping at the views while silently saying a prayer for all the doors that slammed shut in my face. Quite a memorable trip this has been, more than made up for all those times I was left clutching to my sanity by a frayed piece of my mind. All the places I've been and all the faces I've seen have left an indelible mark on my psyche. 
The breathtaking Alps... 

From Geneva, to Brienz, To New Jersey and New York, to Washington, to Niagara, to Boston, to Salzburg and back again to Geneva... images flash through my mind as I write this...
Walking through the fields in Geneva...
 The pristine cool waters of Lake Brienz reflecting the wonders of the world above,
 The murky waters of the Hudson glinting and sparkling as you draw nearer to New York...
Getting drenched in the mist of the Niagara falls,
Soaking in the high intellect of Harvard Square,
Discovering Yvoire and 
Annecy all over again,
And falling irrevocably in love with the enchanting city of Salzburg.

Salzburg hit me hard with her traditional charm, friendly nature and her ingrained love for Mozart. Every corner you turn, you hear the pealing of church bells or the favourite son of the city, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart playing somewhere. This is the start of something wondrous, the spell is already cast and before you know it, you're in love.
This poem by Tyler Knott Gregson is spot on (except the part about not washing your hair)... you cannot read his poems and not fall in love with the guy. He's pretty amazing, his typewriter brand of poems are incredible, I hope I get to meet him someday...
Wrote this (and a lot more) in the plane yesterday... this travel series will continue in the next post. 

Comments

Haddock said…
Like that neatly typed poem by Tyler Knott, and of course Salzburg, will be there probably next summer.
Ganesh Puttu said…
ahhh Salzburg....those pictures tell the entire story, dont they?
BTW...welcome back home itinerant traveller
Karen Xavier said…
Yeah Haddock, Tyler can draw you in with his words... and enjoy charming Salzburg.

Doc, thanks... how are things?
Beth Niquette said…
What a wonderfully talented writer you are. Your photography is spectacular, too.
Karen Xavier said…
Ah Beth, thank you...
Jane Hamilton said…
Lovely pictures Karen! Makes one long to travel. You make that silhouette work, girl! I love the Salzburg one, with the sunlight peeping in from near your arm, and the trees... the water... just breathtaking. This should be turned into a painting! And that poem... Agh... it's just too much... you're right, he seems to be pulling the thoughts out of our very hearts and putting it on paper... my hope in this world is restored - we have at least one person who still writes beautiful poetry... not the eclectic crap that people put out nowadays that is so morbid, and dark, and really really gross...

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Amethyst in Chennai - A Review

After Sarangi , we stopped by Amethyst another boutique store at Whites Road (quite close to Express Avenue Mall), Royapettah. This is a cool posh place hidden from the bustling din of the main road, and the entry way itself seems to transport you to another time and place far away from the cacophony of a busy city life. Once you step into this land overflowing with (wild) shrubbery, you'll find a flower shop, a jewellery cum clothing store and a colonial styled coffee hangout place. The entrance... with shrubs on either side. A giant urn among the shrubbery.  A little fountain in the garden... The jewellery and clothing boutique is located upstairs and even though the whole arrangement looks nice and inviting, I couldn't really find anything worth buying here.   An art piece at the store... The clothes seemed drab and messily complicated, like some new age fashion for the artsy / socialite types. It's not something your normal next door perso...

My school teachers...

So I got to thinking bout my school days recently and it saddened me that I was starting to forget a few teachers who had shaped my life, I have already forgotten nearly half the classmates... though its not my fault. Some people just don't want to join facebook, then how can you find them in this big world. Even if I do find them, there is not much to talk beyond the 'where are you & what are you doing' phrases. But the teachers are another matter, they deserve to be remembered for moulding us. I gotta hand it to the convent school I studied in, they really knew how to select their educators... all the teachers I had shared a genuine passion for teaching and above that they had strong moral values and faith which invariably shaped our lives. To them being a good person was what mattered the most and they made sure we grasped this knowledge, it also helped that I had staunch catholic parents who cemented this view. Anyway, I just wanted to jot down stuff bout my teacher...