Skip to main content

Songs that run true to life...

You know how some songs strike a chord in your heart, and you can't stop listening to them cause they touch so close to home. You sing them constantly in your head and sometimes a little loudly too (as shil would know) and they make you happy... they seem to be written for you. Anyway, here are the two songs that I absolutely love... they tell my story.

The first one's a disney song called 'Part of your World' from 'The Little Mermaid'. I remember watching this when I was really small, and since then I have been enchanted by Ariel... and growing up over the years, this song has captured exactly what I (and I guess a million others) feel, similar to Ariel wanting more than what her perfect little world held for her.


This second song by Taylor Swift called 'The Best Day' is amazing too, it's my theme song now, makes me smile whenever I listen to it... it's so beautiful it actually takes you back to your childhood days and makes you realise that you actually lived in the most magical and wonderful world you could ever belong to, and no other world could be more perfect than that... that's family for you.

I'm five years old, it's getting cold, I've got my big coat on
I hear your laugh and look up smiling at you, I run and run
Past the pumpkin patch and the tractor rides, look now, the sky is gold *
I hug your legs and fall asleep on the way home

I don't know why all the trees change in the fall
But I know you're not scared of anything at all
Don't know if Snow White's house is near or far away
But I know I had the best day with you today

I'm thirteen now and don't know how my friends could be so mean
I come home crying and you hold me tight and grab the keys
And we drive and drive until we find a town far enough away
And we talk and window shop 'til I've forgotten all their names

I don't know who I'm gonna talk to now at school
But I know I'm laughing on the car ride home with you
Don't know how long it's gonna take to feel okay
But I know I had the best day with you today

I have an excellent father, his strength is making me stronger
God smiles on my little brother, inside and out, he's better than I am *
I grew up in a pretty house and I had space to run
And I had the best days with you

There is a video I found from back when I was three
You set up a paint set in the kitchen and you're talking to me
It's the age of princesses and pirate ships and the seven dwarfs
And Daddy's smart and you're the prettiest lady in the whole wide world

And now I know why the all the trees change in the fall
I know you were on my side even when I was wrong
And I love you for giving me your eyes
For staying back and watching me shine
And I didn't know if you knew, so I'm takin' this chance to say
That I had the best day with you today

* A few substitutions to make it true in every sense of the word...
At the church ground running with my brothers now, the sky is gold
God smiles on my little sister, inside and out, she's better than I am


Comments

Carol said…
oh im touched.. cause of the last line.. and yeah.. some songs do bring out all old nice memories.. in my case its old things we watched on TV.. remember the only time all of us used to get up early morning to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and G.I.JOE??
Jude said…
that was beautiful.
wildeyes said…
someone's missing namidey toooo much. but it was very sweet.

ok, ninja turtles i get. but G I Joe??
Karen Xavier said…
Nam, I am kinda surprised that you did not praise yourself in the pic.

JB, thanks... did you listen to Taylor Swift's song?

Megh's, missing the whole family... yeah, we used to watch all those old cartoons... those were some good old days.
Anonymous said…
i like the doordarshan theme song.. and godfather theme song..

shakthimaan... happydays.. wonderyears... streethawk... poirot...

goes on and on
muddled said…
i like this post!
Karen Xavier said…
Sorry Chirz, I did not mean Theme songs as such... I meant songs that become my theme song cause they run so true to my story.

Tina, thanks... :o)
Zak said…
and you thought Jude is serious :p
Zak said…
Jude Stop faking!

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa