Skip to main content

Macaroni and Cheese...

So people have been telling me to start a food blog, my sister's (Nameeta) team at work were even discussing it during one of their meetings... how cool is that. Well, here I am with my very first recipe post and I hope you all enjoy the food that is gonna turn up here regularly.  

Macaroni and Cheese
This is some major comfort food, its easy to make, you can't really go wrong and it never goes to waste. So let's begin... 

Boil your macaroni till it is just right (don't overcook it) and drain it in a colander.

Heat bout 2 to 3 Tbs of butter on low flame.
Drop in a heaped Tbs of flour (maida) and keep stirring.
Add a cup and a half of milk, and keep stirring so that no lumps are formed. You gotta work fast here on low flame, cause the sauce thickens quickly. This sauce with a pinch of salt and pepper is what you call a basic white sauce. 
Remove the vessel from the flame and drop in bout half a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. The cheese will melt in the heat of the sauce.
Once the cheese has melted, add salt, pepper and oregano. 
I had some ham and salami at home, so I chopped them up and added them to the cheesy sauce.
Place the drained macaroni in your baking dish.
Add the cheesy white sauce to the macaroni, just pour it in...

Stir the whole thing, we want the sauce to cover everything.... so mix it all up a few times.
Sprinkle grated cheddar cheese over the dish before sticking it into the oven.  See, I was lazy and just tore off a few pieces and placed them here and there, don't do that... please. We want a nice even baked look.
Settle down near the oven with your book while you wait...
Remove the dish from the oven once it gets that nicely browned look, this should take bout 10 to 20 minutes. You can start digging in, you will enjoy every morsel of this... trust me.


You can stick it in the fridge and heat it up the next day, it tastes just as good. I haven't given any exact measurement, cause I really don't know how to... its all about the feel, use whatever amount feels right to you. Enjoy cooking and eating and living.

Comments

Karen:

Absolutely yummy looking pictures and so easy to make. I don't have an oven/microwave so how can I substitute that?

Why did the book come in between? Oh, now I get it. Wait with the book!!! No way. I will be scrapping the remainder cheese to gobble.

As an afterthought will a rough estimation of calories spoil the fun of the dish!!!

Joy always,
Susan
Carol said…
ooooh.. you managed to mention me!! recipe looks easy. so when you coming here to make it for me??

PS: Stop showing off!!
PurpleHeart said…
So detailed !! Keep those recipes coming coz they are feast to the eyes and good for the soul. I'm not trying this one for my not-so-good relationship with macaroni. But I read up every step, carefully. :)
Karen Xavier said…
susan, you can make the cheesy white sauce a bit thicker by heating it over a low flame... and then pour it over the macaroni and eat it like that, not necessary to bake it. Well, if you make the dish once in a blue moon, I don't think you have to worry bout calories ;)

Nam, make it yourself... I just put a step by step process here.

Sandhya, even if the macaroni turns up overcooked its okay for this dish, cause the whole thing is baked together. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa