Skip to main content

Shahi Chicken Kurma

Shahi means royal and Kurma refers to a dish prepared using either yogurt, cream, nuts or coconut milk. And this recipe is termed royal cause it makes use of most of the above ingredients... and it is truly worth all the effort. Its a typical north Indian dish and not something that can be made quickly... I make it when I want a change from the usual spicy curries that form the norm at my home.

First step, grind cashew nuts with ginger & garlic paste, cumin seeds and coriander powder.

Fry chopped onions along with cloves, cardamom and cinnamon till the onion turns translucent.

That's translucent enough... (I like that word, translucent)

Now add the ground cashew nut paste, chillie powder and the washed chicken pieces.

Mix it up well and fry for a few minutes...

Now add whisked yogurt, bout half a cup and mix it up well. Then add appropriate quantity of water, salt and pressure cook till the meat is tender (bout three whistles time).

Now add a little coconut milk, bout one third a cup and boil the curry...

Add raisins towards the end and boil till the curry thickens a bit... till you get the desired consistency. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve...

There you go, this delightfully rich and luxuriant curry is ready to be devoured... goes well with chappathi and roti. This dish has got a certain distinctive flair... the sweetness and creaminess caused by the raisins and the yogurt is in a way gratifying. So have fun cooking, eating and living.

Comments

Susan Deborah said…
Somebody is turning a sure foodie blogger!

Yum.

Joy always,
Susan
BackStage said…
like the way you explain it neatly like- Shahi means royal and Kurma refers to a dish prepared using either yogurt, cream, nuts or coconut milk. Even the prev post where you tell what makes a basic white sauce..will be tryin all this during weekends!
Karen Xavier said…
Saj, Susan & Gibsy... thanks guys :)
Jane Hamilton said…
okay...it's lunch time, and I am reading this, and it is sooooo not helping my cravings right now!! :P

Anyway, this looks yummy, and you are really good at these food posts! Nice pics too!

Keep 'em coming...
Karen Xavier said…
Candice Martins - looks absolutely yummy
Karen Xavier said…
Hey Jane, nice to see you here
Karen Xavier said…
Jane, if I inspire my sister to cook I think that will be an accomplishment. When I come home, I think we should all get together and I'll cook us all something... Gibsy included.
BackStage said…
@Karen: Yaaaaay!! :D
BackStage said…
And pl post a blog on some cake when you have time... I would really love to try one.. have always failed miserably at baking one and it lands faster in a bin rather than in our tummy!
PurpleHeart said…
Yummy yum !!!
Anonymous said…
wonderful.nowsendsomeoveraswell
Karen Xavier said…
Gibsy, will post a cake recipe soon...

Sandhya, :o)

Anonymous, it would be easier to send some over if I know who you are...
Susan Deborah said…
My mother is turning a fan, now! She wants to try this chicken curry next time. If she had seen this a bit earlier she would have prepared it. Now its another chicken here.

Joy always,
Susan
Karen Xavier said…
Hey Susan, I already love your mother! Yay! My mother saw my blog and made this chicken curry too, the funny thing is I got this recipe from her long back... she made it once and then must have forgotten bout it. I liked it then & had written it down.

Popular posts from this blog

December 2016 and January 2017

The last few months of 2016 were crazy in so many ways. First there was the money issue (when the higher denomination notes lost their value overnight) which created a mess of economic proportions. The insane queues at banks and ATM's and all the scrambling that was happening to make sense of it all, made November quite memorable.  Around the same time, Trump came out victorious which I thought was pretty hilarious... a sort of validation that people are the same everywhere, based on who we elected here.  Anyway, after the chaos of November, December came with her own brand of drama. I heard of Cyclone Nada, but I was busy in Nagercoil then enjoying a birthday party...Even that was fun, surprising the birthday girl who did not know that I was at the airport with dad. She walks up and down and I'm hiding behind the newspaper pretending to read it, then I see Manoj by her side, and they finally come out and she is hugging my dad and after that I walk up behind her and tap her on t…

A Corpse in the Ground

Padua and Venice 2015

So the last travel post was about Turin, after which we drove all the way to Padua and after roaming around at night, eating ice cream  we came back to Tulip Inn, our hotel in Padua. After the complimentary breakfast, we set out to visit San Antonio's shrine, the shrine where the tomb of St. Antony is located. We celebrated mass in an adjoining chapel there,  We weren't allowed to take pictures in the main shrine, but I surreptitiously managed to take this one. After walking around and praying in this huge church, we then went to the shrine shop. Among all the places we visited, the stuff I've seen at the Padua shrine shop, is really good. One of the best places to shop for souvenirs, everything is so pretty and well made. I had visited Padua in 2013 with Antonio and Nameeta, and Antonio picked up a really cool looking black ring with the Our Father inscribed on it in Latin...
He rarely wears it, so I started wearing it...
Picked up this cream and chapstick at the Padua …