Skip to main content

Events that rocked the world...

Starting with the catastrophic act of nature that rocked the northern coast of Japan and had the world reeling under the shock of witnessing such an unparalleled and unimaginable act of destruction. It was like something out of an apocalyptic themed hollywood movie... cars, buses, boats, houses, buildings even small planes were lifted and carried away like toys in massive 10m waves that ravaged and plundered north Japan. The 8.9 magnitude earthquake that occurred on 11th March, 2011  was one of the worst in the history of mankind... kinda makes you wonder what the creator was upto, what good reason could He possibly have to tear apart a nation that was once already in ashes after WWII. But the Japanese have proven their resilience, no one doubted that they would build up their nation and get on with their lives. What is really inspiring is their core character; they are a disciplined lot with integrity, value and compassion sewn into their very souls. Been reading reports about how there was no panicking, ransacking or looting... people still followed traffic rules, and waited in queues, unguarded ATM's were left alone, and apparently nothing was stolen from shops. I don't know how they do this, maybe its because the population is less or maybe the Japanese are just plain decent. I think we should learn about waiting in queues and following traffic signals from this calm and resilient race... they sure have my respect and admiration. May the Lord bless all of them and may He help them grow and prosper again... and may the souls of the perished find peace in Him. 

Coming to the other event that rocked my corner of the world, India winning the coveted World Cup. Now, this is not going to be about the game or the dream that took 28 years to materialize... I couldn't care less about this game and I care lesser than that about the cup, what I do care about is Dhoni. I never really liked cricket, its too lengthy with a whole bunch of players just loitering round the ground... most of the time I tune in to watch only the presentation ceremony, cause its nice to see Dhoni talking and smiling as he discusses the outcome of a match. With his charming smile and honest comments, his take on things is almost disarming... that coupled with bravery, acumen and his amazing ability to remain calm under pressure is what won me over. He's cute too, if I hadn't already fallen for Aron Ralston, I would have definitely fallen for Dhoni by now. Anyway, it was nice to witness the euphoria that swept the nation last Saturday night... I was glad for Dhoni and I was impressed by the way he finished the game with a sweeping six. His old flamboyant self still surfaces when its needed, he's a captain who has garnered worldwide respect and admiration for the way he carries himself. I hope he never loses track of the inherent qualities that make him the man he is...

Doesn't he look dashing here..
'O Captain! My Captain!' Reign on...

Comments

Zak said…
As much I loved the first para about Japan , I feel like kicking you multiple times after reading the second one . and it is not a sweeping six .it was as straight as it could get ...duh!
Karen Xavier said…
Saj, :) nice relevant comment. So straight six or sweeping six, who cares... I was trying to be dramatic plus sweeping generally means taking in a wide area, which that last ball did.
BackStage said…
Yeah the Japan thing surely did rock the world... I was about to write a blog post on the cricket match myself but then did not have time. Though not a hardcore fan of cricket, I think the Indian team really brought the people together in this one. I was really moved when I saw old people dancing on TV.
Karen Xavier said…
Gibsy, same here... it was nice to see people dancing in the streets and crying all over a game. Though it doesn't justify all the money that is raining down on these men...

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa