Skip to main content

Walking around in Geneva...

So after my sister left, it was just me and my brother at home and he'd go to work while I continued exploring Geneva on my own. I'd buy a day pass and if I see anything interesting outside, I'd hop off and walk around and everything is so efficiently organised there, that with a few apps and with all the bus stops containing neatly typed out details of every stop and the bus timings, there is no way you can get lost... even if you try. And the bus timings really blew me away, I should have taken a picture of it...the timings were always to the point like 9:43 or 14:18 or 16:01 and the bus would arrive exactly at this time, it was uncanny, it was brilliant, it was hassle free. I've traveled more in Geneva in those few months than I did in all the six years I stayed in Madras. 
This is a quaint library and antique store...
This is where the 18th century Genevan philosopher, writer, and composer, Jean Jacques Rousseau was born.
Old canons... 
Window boxes overflowing with flowers...
Angry lion door knocker... 
Pretty lace curtains...
Another interesting door knocker...
Pretty cool, right... with those winged creatures and the human form...
A quaint street corner...
Had lunch here... 
There are water outlets like this everywhere, and if there is a sign nearby that says potable then you can drink from it. 
A Marrons stand, we loved this... Marrons means chestnuts. This is the roasted chestnuts stand that springs up in different parts of the city during the last stages of autumn. 
More pretty curtains...
Some weird sculpture... when I was in this neighbourhood clicking away on my camera, two men walked out of their house, and came towards me. From the looks of it, a father and his son, so they were asking me why I was taking pictures of their houses, and I said to put on my blog. And they were like for what purpose, and I was like to show how pretty everything is here. And then they smiled and I told the son I could give him the link to my blog, he handed his phone over and I opened this page for him. So father and son, if you happen to read this... thanks for being nice people, take care. 
The enormous broken chair outside the UN building, symbolizing the campaign against landmines... 
The huge broken chair and the dancing fountains, near the UN buildings...
Gandhiji on the lawns of the UN...
Another statue inside the UN...
The UN library... 
A pretty fountain...
A statue near one of the bus stands...
These kids had come trick or treating during Halloween, and I asked if I could take a picture...
A quaint shop on the way...
A boy and a fish fountain...
A Man, an eagle and a horse fountain... 
A river...
And the colours of fall slowly changing the face of the earth...

Comments

Nat said…
I've passed through Geneva airport a few times, en route to the Alps but never actually seen anything... it's great to see the city through your posts :-)
Beth Niquette said…
Wow! What an amazing place this is. Thank you for sharing your adventure. Your photos leave me breathless.
Haddock said…
Wonderful pictures. Always loved those window boxes overflowing with flowers.
Hope the father and the son has read this blog by now.
Karen Xavier said…
Nat, thanks for the pictures of Iceland on your page... they look wow!

Beth, :) hugs

Haddock, :) I hope so too... they were quite nice.
Dina Roberts said…
I love the exchange you had with the father and son. I'm wondering if they became readers of your blog.
Karen Xavier said…
Dina, I wonder too... would be nice if they could see their place through my eyes.

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa