Skip to main content

July 2022 Trip

    So I’m back in my tertiary home (my brother’s place in Geneva) and this time around the drama quotient has increased (courtesy the parents); they like to attend mass everyday and we dare not go late or even think of skipping church, cause we (the siblings) don’t want things to get out of hand. Almost everyday I’m on the Geneva catholique church website trying to figure out where to attend mass (messe in French) and how to get them to church (église in French) on time. It helps that the churches or chapels are cute and nestled in wild greenery, so we get to explore mother nature too… the living breathing church. We don’t seem to realise that we are part of her.

    The visa process was normal enough, though it took a long time at the visa processing center (VFS in Chennai) to get things done. The last time (2017) it was rather quick, in a hour or so my number was called and they took my application and in a week’s time I received my passport with the schengen visa. This time we were stuck at the VFS for close to five hours, my dad was threatening to walk out every half hour… They were excruciatingly slow at the processing centre. Received the passports in ten days and then booked tickets to Geneva on 5th July. No one asked about vaccines and we weren’t required to undergo any tests either, so that was good.  My sister would join us from the States on 8th July, that was the plan.  So the entire month of June my dad was like, I’m not coming, cancel my ticket. This was his refrain from dawn to dusk.

    I would go with him to the hospital and I’d tell the doctor to prescribe medicines for two months and my dad would tell the doctor, I don’t want to go but they’re dragging me to Switzerland. I don’t know who was more stunned, the doctor or me. Anyway, this was the drama till the 4th of July, with my dad hardly packing and me going crazy trying to keep things under control. The next day we reach Trivandrum and settle in for the four hour flight, which was packed. I was feeling a little nauseated, it was too cold in the flight. Couldn’t eat, just wanted to sleep. I was thinking, why all this aasai, Kavitha? So there I was silently waiting to land and get out of the intense AC atmosphere, and I’m wondering how my parents were feeling. I peep through the blanket (I was all bundled up, it was too cold for me) and they were engrossed in a movie, eating food and I’m just trying to keep my nausea under control, so didn’t eat anything. In four hours we land in Dubai, and there’s a security check again and we barely have time to go to the restroom before we board our six hour flight to Geneva.

There were empty seats on this flight, so slept well.
Woke up, ate some nice fluffy dessert, pasta salad...
There were fresh fruits...
And some soup...
Flying above the Alps...
Saw a Bhutanese movie, ‘Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom’, a beautiful movie with stunning visuals. Landed in Geneva, effortless immigration process, took the luggage, came out and guess who is standing there waiting to receive us, Nam and Jude! Yeah, Nam wanted to surprise us, she reached Geneva a few days before us and in the evening she and Jude flew to Barcelona to celebrate their tenth wedding anniversary. We (Vinod and I) dropped them at the airport in the evening. We then went to a Thai place to pick up dinner for mom and a Lebanese place to pick up dinner for dad and me. So that was our first day here, ate mutabal with pita bread and then just crashed for the night.
First night in Geneva... 
This was the first day and it was great to be back, will update the rest of the trip as time permits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to