Skip to main content

Phoenix in Lyon

July 31st 2022 Sunday
Went to the Monastery near ibis, entry was 9.50 euros each. I don't know if it was worth it. A very rich woman, just built extravagant tombs for her husband, mom in law and herself.  She also built a church and only thirty monks have stayed there, and it's just a museum now. Looks grand, but I felt it wasn't worth visiting. Give me the rolling hills and the tree lined avenues any day over extravagant monuments. 
Here's the monastery...
This is the church or chapel...
Where I had to take a picture like this...
This marbled dog looks nice and peaceful...
These are the extravagant tombs...
Pretty arched corridor...
Pretty sculpture...
Just me in a mirror that needs to be cleaned...
A girl holding a skull...
The description of the picture...
An interesting bas relief sculpture...
The corresponding description...
 
The trees stand out in this painting...
And the description...
This was intriguing...
The description is here...
The courtyard...
The monastery...
The colourfully tiled roof stands out...
After walking around the monastery, we went back to the hotel, packed and left. 
Stopped at a restaurant, La comedie to have lunch. 
I ate some pesto pasta that hardly had any pesto, but I was hungry so ate it. 
This looks like some fish, my brother probably ate this...
Then drove to Lyon and reached, le Phenix, our hotel and it's so beautiful! A recently renovated place and every little detail is thought out. 
The foyer...
Me and Nam stayed here...
Glass water bottles...
A charming lounge...
The staircase...
Le Phenix... cute place.
We got ready and went to church, walked a while to reach St. George church, (church 21) where there was a Latin mass in the old style. A handicapped person came there and it brought tears to my eyes. How the parents (I guess) were watching over him, trying to make him comfortable and taking him for communion. I wondered if this was a way to live... the adolescent boy was strapped to a special inclined chair, he would make guttural sounds with jerky movements, and his parents would lean in and try to make him comfortable. This looked like one of the severe cases (I worked in a special school for a few years and they have categories like mild, moderate, severe and acute) and I couldn't help but wonder about life, god, karma, creation, the cycle of existence...
Then walked to Vieux Lyon and it was good to see the old sights again, just strolled around. 
Nice slogan... Live, Laugh, Love, Leave.
Ate wonderful ice cream for 4 euros in amorino, a petit cup. 
My sister took some cold coffee, I think...
Then walked to Le Touarage, a lively place, for dinner.
 I ate Tzatziki and it was lovely. Tzatziki is a salted yogurt and cucumber dip that's made with strained yogurt, shredded cucumber, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and herbs. 
My father had some falafel with salad...
I don't know what this is... I think my sister ate this.
This is some lamb, my mom had this...
This was our old spot, where we stayed in 2017.
Lyon on a Sunday summer night... the air is pleasant and buzzing with activity.
Walked back to the beautiful hotel...
 and now going to sleep. (I jot down the things we did everyday on my phone, so it's easier to blog about it later... that's why the present tense sneaks in.) Tomorrow we use the funicular to go to the church at the top of the hill. 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to