Skip to main content

What's up Doc...

So this happened...

     I presented and defended my doctoral thesis titled "An Exploration into the Resilience of the Human Soul and Evolution of the Human Self: A Study of Select Autobiographies of Artists and Statesmen"  at the university and I can't believe it's over. It's actually... overwhelming to think of how I got into it in the first place. I had to quit my job cause I was in and out of the hospital, those were the dark years as I call them. I wanted something to do, and since I'm in the habit of devouring books, I thought why not get a Ph.D. in it. So started foraging for a university, a guide and after all that fell in place, the topic had to be decided. I remember Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt was quite fascinating in its various aspects and I thought why not work on such real-life stories that make you feel... that pull at your heartstrings. So got together with my guide and her guide who is a colossal giant in this field and we discussed autobiographies and decided upon five authors who have changed the collective human consciousness. So I had to briefly read up on the selected authors, write a paper and send it to the university after which there was an entrance exam and a meeting with a doctoral committee where my topic and the chosen authors were discussed, I remember they were quite fascinated by the topic. It seemed new to them I guess... autobiographical studies after all the comparative studies and the other well known African-American studies, post-colonial studies, and other literary topics. After they approved, I started reading my primary sources and preparing for the Methodology exam. In between, the dark years became intense and I became a recluse. Got a medical certificate from the hospital, sent it to the university, and I stopped existing... like one of my authors, Maya Angelou explains, it felt like I was falling off the edge of the world into nothingness and I couldn't even care.

     Then like it always does, clarity seeps in when you're close to the edge. So I took a step back and with the help of a gentle sentinel who said so much without uttering a word, I slowly picked up the pieces of self and tried to attach them back into the person I used to know. Gave the Methodology exam and started the research work by visiting libraries and poring over online databases. Read exhaustively and slowly the chapter building phase started taking roots. Once the idea of each chapter is conceived, getting into the heart of the matter is quite a joyful affair. It's that fireworks-going-off-in-your-head phase when you connect concepts and the thought process just flows and it feels amazing to realise new things. So this goes on with each chapter, conceiving the idea and knowing how to progress is where the challenge lies. Once the idea is understood, analyzing the data is quite a liberating process.

     In 2015, my whole world changed, the ground shook and like another author of mine, Elie Wiesel, life split into before and after the burgeoning consciousness. Talking of Elie Wiesel, researching him was the most difficult. Reading about the holocaust is not easy, everything tends to look depressing and bleak after a while and at nights the dreams would be horrible. I would have to stop and take a week off in between... do normal stuff, watch comedy shows, read something romantic to feel normal again. Otherwise, reading about the chilling crimes of genocide is too much to handle, makes one question the purpose of existence. Imagine living through one... can't imagine how Elie and the others handled life in a world that sought to obliterate them. At normal times, when I was researching the other authors, dreams would be about whole paragraphs flying here and there, the documentation syntax, the in-text citations, text highlighting itself and my fingers flying over the keyboard... those vivid dreams were fun.

     Had to publish a paper in a UGC approved journal and I got it published, but then when I got close to submitting my thesis, the journal I had published in, lost its UGC rating. Then there was the mad panic and scramble to write another paper and get it published on time while praying like crazy that the journal I submitted to still remains on the UGC list. Gosh, those were some nerve-wracking days... and that brings to mind my pre PhD exam. That too, I was a ball of nerves initially, then after a few questions by the examiner, I kinda got into the groove and stood my ground. After that, finally completed my thesis, submitted it and settled in for the long wait as it got sent out to anonymous examiners across the country. Waited for the reports to arrive at the university, after which the date was set to 6th September 2019. Could hardly eat or sleep properly the previous day, there was so much to do and organise. The 6th dawned and I got ready and left the house at 6:30am amidst a heavy downpour; I like the rain and the sound of it cascading all around me on the drive to the university was quite calming.
I was just so overjoyed seeing this rainbow on the way, it was like an outpouring of love and I couldn't stop marveling at what life has given me, and at what life has in store...
     Love that spills out in unceasing waves of blessings. Anyway, at the university everything went well, the examiner declared and I heaved a huge sigh of relief. Eight years of dedication and everything that lead up to this moment... everything that shaped me and moulded me, even the dark years and the warriors of light that reached out to me, I'm grateful for them all. I never expected to do this, it happened quite by chance while I did not know what to seek. Somehow I got more than I ever expected, and that always astounds me. 
     The final slide of my presentation with all the authors who've become an integral part of me. 

     My sister really wanted to be present at this event, she was there right from the beginning filling out forms, dealing with the correspondence and understanding all the drama that was going on. And she was feeling sad that she couldn't come down for this, so I told her that's not a problem, you're the party planner, let's party the whole of next year. I was amping up the plans and telling her we'll do this, we'll go here, we'll see that... I'm a reader, once I start imagining, it is rather difficult to stop. So as I was hyperbole-ing all over the place, my sister replied: "Calm down, this is only a Ph.D. degree. You did not put a rocket in space". A truer sibling could not exist. But after the viva-voce, she kinda went overboard and sent videos (which Antonio had sent her of the viva-voce board members declaring the award of Doctor of Philosophy) to everyone she knew, which was kinda disconcerting. My cousin became my paparazzi, he was all over the place with his digital camera constantly clicking pictures and taking videos. I was too involved in the questions coming my way to bother with anything else. I'm just glad that I always seem to be surrounded by warriors of pure light who bring so much joy and meaning to life just by being themselves. Let the learning continue for each one of us... life is just that, time in this temporal realm to learn our lessons and improve the consciousness of humankind. 

Comments

Congrats Dr. KAREN 👍
Vadapoche said…
Congrats Doc! This was a good read. In a time when honorary doctorates are being handed over for no reason, doing something path breaking and not giving up despite challenges is inspiring. Happy celebrations.
BMW said…
Congratulations DrKaren. You always had it in you. Maybe you chose the wrong career path but finally you found your way through. Life is a blessing and you are an example. God bless you.
Karen Xavier said…
Thanks everyone...

Popular posts from this blog

Nice Ad....

Wouldn't you say so... Nam and me were in this huge clothing store and we were making fun of all the models on display (there was one of hrithik in which he looked kinda gayish) when we came across this one. Seriously, dark people are more better looking....

Tawusi Melek: The Peacock Angel

The Last Girl (2017) by a Yezidi survivor, Nadia Murad, is filled with the bone-chilling sort of evil that the ISIS is synonymous with. Nadia poignantly captures the plight of her Yazidi village, Kocho, as the threat of ISIS looms large in the distance before becoming a reality. As with the Holocaust, no one really anticipates the amount or intensity of evil that could reside in the indoctrinated hearts of men. Otherwise, nobody would willingly stay back in their towns or villages waiting for the genocide of their race. One of Nadia’s brother’s, Hezni, did try to go Germany, by crossing the northern Iraqi border on foot into Turkey, from where they (the brother and a few others) made their way to Istanbul, then paid a smuggler to take them into Greece. But they were discovered and had to spend a horrible time in prison. So, the fact is people did try to leave, but like Nadia explains, it isn’t easy to leave the only place one has ever known. I still think that being forced to

A tribute to the crazy bunch....

Here are a few picutres that won't find a place in the wedding album... but they were equally (some of them, even more) memorable. Everybody loves sunoj.... I was so happy to see them all...... (first time they were coming to my new place) Sunoj again.... hanging out with this guy is like shopping, ice cream, chocolates... etc. You can't get enough of them. The crazy cousins gave us a very interesting gift... this gift will be with us for six months then it will start its cycle of educating the owners. Though I doubt my cousins need much education in that department. It was fun opening the book and Jardin being the smart guy wanted somethin read from page 69. It was so cute the way Sunoj quickly picked up "The Magic Faraway Tree Series" from the corner and gave me to hold up when Robert uncle walked into the room (turns out he was the one who bought the book). I still remember Robert uncle laughing his head off.... good times. This wa